Sample Submission Forms
5/4/20: We've resumed this service, but will only accept physical samples from mail-in submissions. Public drop-off or visits to the lab remain suspended at this time. The standard response time is 3-7 business days after the sample has arrived in the lab, but diagnostics may take longer given slower mail operations and and other restrictions . Due to closures on campus, online payment will temporarily be the only form accepted.
Complete the appropriate submission form for each sample. The forms are fillable, and can be completed on the computer or printed and hand written. Make sure to submit the form with your sample. Submit any relevant sample images to: PlantDiagnosticLab@uconn.edu
In order for diagnosis of your sample to be effective and accurate, please carefully follow the below shipping requirements.
1. Always select fresh plant material that is symptomatic but not dried out, dead, or decaying. We are unable to diagnose plants that are already dead.
2. Do not ship live insects or arthropods. Crushed insects and insects stuck to clear tape are unidentifiable. Place insects in freezer to kill them. Preserve soft-bodied insects in a leak-proof vial of alcohol.
3. Separate soil from plant material. If the root system is included, place a plastic bag around it and secure with a twist tie or rubber band to keep soil from contaminating leaves/stems.Place the entire sample into a sealed plastic bag. A dry paper towel can be wrapped around the plant to absorb excess moisture and prevent the plant from sticking to the plastic.
4. Never add water to the sample for shipment--water will degrade the sample and prevent an accurate diagnosis.
5. Ship in a crush-proof container such as a box. A box helps protect the sample and helps us provide an accurate diagnosis.
6. Mail to the UConn Plant Diagnostic Lab:
|UConn Plant Diagnostic Lab|
|1380 Storrs Rd., Unit 4115|
|Storrs, CT 06269-4115|
7. Email the tracking information to PlantDiagnosticLab@uconn.edu so we know when to expect the package.
Fee Structure & Payment Options
All plant or insect samples for diagnosis or identification: $20
Methods of payment accepted: Due to COVID-19 related closures on campus, Credit/debit card payments online are the only method of payment accepted at this time.
To pay by credit/debit card: visit http://s.uconn.edu/pay.