Sample Submission Forms
Please follow all UConn health and safety protocols when dropping a sample off to the lab. The standard response time is 5-7 business days after the sample has arrived in the lab, but diagnostics may take longer given slower mail operations and and other restrictions. USPS has proven to be the most reliable form of shipping to the lab.
Complete the appropriate submission form for each sample. The forms are fillable, and can be completed on the computer or printed and hand written. Make sure to submit the form with your sample. Samples may be dropped-off to the Home & Garden Education Center (Ratcliffe-Hicks Rm. 004) between 9am and 4:30pm, M-F.
Submit any relevant sample images to: Ladybug@uconn.edu and PlantDiagnosticLab@uconn.edu
|Plant Sample Submission Form||Insect Sample Submission Form|
In order for diagnosis of your sample to be effective and accurate, please carefully follow the below shipping requirements.
1. Always select fresh plant material that is symptomatic but not dried out, dead, or decaying. We are unable to diagnose plants that are already dead.
2. Do not ship live insects or arthropods. Crushed insects and insects stuck to clear tape are unidentifiable. Place insects in freezer to kill them. Preserve soft-bodied insects in a leak-proof vial of alcohol.
3. Separate soil from plant material. If the root system is included, place a plastic bag around it and secure with a twist tie or rubber band to keep soil from contaminating leaves/stems.Place the entire sample into a sealed plastic bag. A dry paper towel can be wrapped around the plant to absorb excess moisture and prevent the plant from sticking to the plastic.
4. Never add water to the sample for shipment--water will degrade the sample and prevent an accurate diagnosis.
5. Ship in a crush-proof container such as a box. A box helps protect the sample and helps us provide an accurate diagnosis.
6. Mail to the UConn Plant Diagnostic Lab:
UConn Plant Diagnostic Lab
1380 Storrs Rd., Unit 4115
Storrs, CT 06269-4115
7. Email us the tracking information so we know when to expect your package!
Fee Structure & Payment Options
All plant or insect samples for diagnosis or identification: $20/sample
We accept check and online credit/debit card payments. We do not accept cash payments.
To pay by credit/debit card online: visit http://s.uconn.edu/pay.